[Videolib] media collection and electronic reserves

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:03:58 -0700

Deg,

My understanding of TEACH is that it can be used outside of synchronous
teaching of distance courses. As far as I can remember, there is nothing
about distance courses at all in the act. It simply says that what is
covered using TEACH must be the kind of thing that would normally be covered
in class (so that one could put film clips or other media segments online
for viewing outside of class, but restricted to the class participants).
This excludes things such as PDFs of articles (as one would not normally
share those on an overhead for the entire class to read) or clips of films
intended as supplementary material for individual research, etc. (Of course
the PDFs online are covered by other exemptions, just not TEACH). Also, my
understanding of the act is that the online use need not be synchronous as
Gary seems to define it (as in the instructor and students must be online at
the same moment, covering the same material - forgive me, Gary, if this
misrepresents what you intended to say), but must take place under the
purview of the instructor and during the time in which the student is
enrolled in the course.

A more complete description (by people who know a lot more than I do) is at:
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/scc/legislative/teachkit/
<http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/scc/legislative/teachkit/>

mb

Michael Brewer

German & Slavic Studies and Media Arts Librarian

University of Arizona Library, A210

1510 E. University

P.O. Box 210055

Tucson, AZ 85721-0055