[Videolib] media collection and electronic reserves

Monika Landenhamer (mlandenhamer@saybrook.edu)
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:30:34 -0700

Maureen,
I can't answer this question directly - we would certainly love to do
something like this but it doesn't seem to be in compliance with either
copyright or TEACH-Act. I have been using this chart by Laura Gasaway
(Librarian, JD) to help me out.

Gasaway, L. (2002). Teach Act: Amended Section 110(2). Retrieved November
12, 2003 from http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/TEACH.htm

This is an excellent chart outlining important aspects of the educational
exemption to copyright Section 110 (1), the old Instructional Broadcast
Section 110 (2), and the revised Teach Act Section 110 (2).

Look under the TEACH-ACT revisions specifically:
Activity
Work covered
Technological restrictions
Digitized works

In a recent presentation at Syllabus Conference in San Francisco, Laura
also reminded everyone that E-Reference use is defined by ALA as one-time
use for a class, subsequent uses require proper copyright clearance (do not
know where this is stated by ALA).

Monika
Saybrook Graduate School and Research Center
San Francisco