[Videolib] Re: promotional copies

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:27:58 -0700

Thanks Dennis... I think an ALA panel next year would be very very
groovy...(I'd even consider coming out of self-imposed ALA exile to be on it).

...so, you're going to France and I'm still here schlogging away, toiling
on my unpaid mitzvahs...there simply is no cosmic justice in this world.

Have a cool time (temp foid?) dans La Belle France.

gary

At 12:46 PM 8/17/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Gary and friends,
>
>May I suggest an ALA panel next year on practical copyright and have it
>published on the Videolib listserv? Or with the Videolib monthly reminders
>that a link to the good websites be included as a matter of course. It
>would save so much time!
>
>To repeat, I hold librarians and libraries in high regard -- I just hate
>misinformation. Which in fact, so do librarians!
>
>Gary, the use of review copies from Videolib and the other magazines is
>one of personal choice, company policy and possibly implied agreement. If
>it's part of your job (it seems to be) and it's fine by the distributor
>(it would be fine by me), than by all means add it to your collection.
>Since I own my own business and couldn't tell you which hour is business
>or which hour is 'off duty' when I write reviews, I fully understand your
>concept. I personally don't think they should be resold or used
>nefariously (I just wanted to use that word all day!) but I know that this
>is preaching to the converted as anyone on this listserv obviously takes
>their job and responsibilities seriously. Yes, reviews can be considered
>as "free" publicity for distributors, but I would prefer to consider them
>as a job if paid or ("good deeds" for y'all) if paid poorly or at all.
>They're primarily meant to be a service to the readers -- or else every
>review would be five stars. (Not that every single one of my films don't
>DESERVE five stars...).
>
>This really started out with regards to donations of screeners from member
>organizations with a policy and that's what Jessica and I have been
>responding to. There are dozens of situations that should go beyond the
>law, but on a case to case basis instead of a "steal this book" mentality.
>
>Everyone will be very glad when I say I hope this is my last and final
>email on the subject. I got DVDs to produce and a trip to France to
>prepare for...
>
>Dennis Doros
>Milestone Film & Video
>PO Box 128