[Videolib] Re: promotional copies

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:03:34 -0700

MessageHi Monique,

Our reviewers do keep review copies. FWIW, here's my two cents on the =
"promotional copies" issue--from the standpoint of a video review =
journal editor. All of our "film" reviewers receive a notice from me =
regarding screeners to the effect that "screeners" can be added to their =
personal collections or deep-sixed, but they should *not* be added to =
library collections or--god forbid--hawked on eBay (to me, this is not =
rocket science: the studios, like book publishers with "advance reader =
copies," are making a clear and reasonable professional-to-professional =
stipulation regarding the treatment of review copies).=20

Review copies that are *not* marked as such are, in my opinion, a =
different story. I personally do not see a problem with a reviewer =
putting these titles in library collections (and, in fact, many titles =
we receive for review include specific instructions/encouragement in the =
accompanying paperwork to donate titles to public or school libraries).

As far as I'm concerned the only real gray area is higher-priced titles =
for the institutional market. It wasn't all that long ago that smaller =
distributors with high-priced titles were still confusing price and =
worth (i.e., we would receive review copies that were marked "please =
return and insure for $400" as if review copies were somehow worth more =
than $.99 cents--or whatever blank tape costs these days). Fortunately, =
this attitude has mostly disappeared.

On the "loss of sale" argument, for 90% of our reviewers, this is a =
non-issue, since they never would have spent $350 in the first place on =
a particular title. But even for the 10% who might represent a sale, my =
personal feeling is this: if 3 or 4 reviewer copies (which lead to =
reviews that generate additional revenue) are intrinsic to the bottom =
line, then the company's business model sucks and they need to rethink =
it. Or label their videos as screeners, which I--and I think my =
reviewers--understand and respect (but we're not Kreskins; we need to be =
told--especially since so many filmmakers specifically request that =
review copies be given a good home in collections).

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com
----- Original Message -----=20