[Videolib] Re: promotional copies

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:06:12 -0400

So Gary, you and I aren't that far a part. You just tell a better story.
Unless you agreed not to place a copy in your collection, you have every
right to do that (or burn it, or sell it, or give it away as a birthday
present) because of the first sale doctrine which, as you know, does not
depend on you actually 'buying it'. (It doesn't even depend on you getting
the copy legally, which is a whole 'nother body of law.)

The other post on this thread regarding contract law also stated my
position. Contract supercedes copyright. Putting a notice on something
that it is governed by a contract, may erase some of the owner's copyright
privileges but it does not obligate others who have not agreed to it, even
if they open the shrink wrap. Such contracts of adhesion have long been
unenforceable. They also do not obligate third parties...even libraries.
I am pushing back on the idea that copyright is a super trumping unilateral
power when it comes to recorded media. Librarians need to know what they
can do according to the law, not according to the lawyer for the legal
department of a distributor. This isn't about morality and fairness, it is
about profit maximization by getting people to play by a set of rules that
aren't really the rules by falsely shaming them.

Claiming that my posts should be monitored is simply a rhetorical device.
Please don't confuse 'outrage' with accuracy. Check the law yourself and
then point to something I wrote that is not in line with it.

Jed
"Weirdness in the defense of freedom is no shibboleth"