[Videolib] Re: promotional copies

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:37:07 -0500

Gary,
=20
Are you saying that educational documentary review copies, unless
otherwise noted, can or cannot be placed in an institution's collection?

=20
Monetary compensation huh? Maybe I'm reviewing for the wrong
people.--Monique

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 12:22 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Re: promotional copies
=09
You see, I step out of the office for four days and look what
happens...
=09
I feel your pain, Dennis...and I agree that there's a danger in
having, uh, mis- and dis- information flung around. Nonetheless, I balk
at swinging over to formal moderation. I figure there are enough cool
and sage heads on the list to temper abovementioned weirdness.
=09
That said: I agree with your take (and JR;s) on sticking promo
and screener copies in the collection... The thing that miffs me a bit,
frankly is being lambasted for sticking review copies in the collection
for which actual journal reviews have been written. For example: For a
long while I wrote reviews for Randy Pitman (I'm taking a sabbatical at
the mo). I usually received the screener as compensation. Now, these
reviews took a fair amount of time to write and, let's face it, Randy
(and others) pay little more than popcorn money for the effort. My
rationale for doing some of this work on company time was always that it
ultimately contributed stuff to the collection. Increasingly, however,
I'd get calls from distributors harpooning me for "donating" my personal
copy to the library. I know times are tough, but let's face it,
distributors benefit from the publicity that reviews afford, too.
=09
OK. End of rant.
=09
gary