[Videolib] Re: promotional copies

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:22:00 -0700

You see, I step out of the office for four days and look what happens...

I feel your pain, Dennis...and I agree that there's a danger in having, uh,
mis- and dis- information flung around. Nonetheless, I balk at swinging
over to formal moderation. I figure there are enough cool and sage heads
on the list to temper abovementioned weirdness.

That said: I agree with your take (and JR;s) on sticking promo and
screener copies in the collection... The thing that miffs me a bit,
frankly is being lambasted for sticking review copies in the collection for
which actual journal reviews have been written. For example: For a long
while I wrote reviews for Randy Pitman (I'm taking a sabbatical at the
mo). I usually received the screener as compensation. Now, these reviews
took a fair amount of time to write and, let's face it, Randy (and others)
pay little more than popcorn money for the effort. My rationale for doing
some of this work on company time was always that it ultimately contributed
stuff to the collection. Increasingly, however, I'd get calls from
distributors harpooning me for "donating" my personal copy to the
library. I know times are tough, but let's face it, distributors benefit
from the publicity that reviews afford, too.

OK. End of rant.

gary

UC Berkeley

****