[Videolib] Documentaries on DVD vs. videotape

ggerber@ebiomedia.com
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:50:52 -0400

Our policy is to replace any DVD that is scratched within two years of
purchase for $7.00 which covers shipping and handling only. What we are
hoping is the industry within two years will have a better DVD that resists
the common damage that we see on them now. If that doesn't come to pass
then replacements with shipping and handling will not be more than $20.00
each.

Thank you for asking!
Gwen

Gwen Gerber
eBioMEDIA, Division of BioMEDIA ASSOCIATES
P.O. Box 1234, Beaufort, SC 29901-1234
Shipping: 161 Distant Island Drive, Beaufort, SC 29907-1515
877.661.5355 toll-free, 843.470.0236 voice, 843.470.0237 fax
www.ebiomedia.com ggerber@ebiomedia.com

26th National Media Market: September 28-October 3, 2004 in Las Vegas, NV

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Christopher
Lewis
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 12:40 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Documentaries on DVD vs. videotape

Many distributors of nontheatrical videos, such as FFH&S, Bullfrog, and
Media Education Foundation, among others, are now offering DVD versions of
their titles. To date I have been reticent to opt for the DVDs if they cost
$100 or more, unless I know that the distributor will replace broken,
scratched copies for a fraction of the list price. I have had phonecalls
with various vendors on their policies. I think Bullfrog (don't quote me),
offered replacements for a flat $25 which I feel is the right price. Another
vendor said they would replace for half-price, which would have amounted to
$125, so I ordered the VHS instead.

Of the vendors on this list, I'd love to know your policies up-front before
having to make the decision between the two formats. Obviously the DVD copy
would be preferable if cost and fragility were equivalent. Also any other
librarian insights on this topic would be appreciated.

Chris Lewis
Media Librarian/Humanities Collection Manager
American University Library
202.885.3257
AIM: congolene

If you have no money, be polite.