[Videolib] Policy for ordering PAL format?

Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:01:33 -0700

Well...

The answer, of course, is eternally the same: budget woes...

The policy of the Educational Technology Services group (who report to the
same provost/VC as we do, but who are in no way administratively beholden
to us) seems to be to install DVD players in cases where a classroom is
being newly renovated or developed. Unfortunately, there are about 270
general assignment classrooms on this campus, only a few dozen of which
have DVD players installed (less than half have ANY media installed).

I've thought about mounting a full-frontal attack by making a pitch
directly to the Vice Chancellor, but I know she's pretty beleaguered
budgetwise... If I could somehow get a critical mass of concerned faculty
together, I might be able to make the pitch more
effectively...unfortunately, that's easier said...

In the meantime, the only alternative is for faculty to schlep portable
carts with the equipment into places where there's no DVD player. A lot of
them (most of them?) would rather not bother...

Not a happy situation!

gary

UC Berkeley

****