[Videolib] Television series for academic collections

Lesley Lundgren (llundgren@acpl.lib.in.us)
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:52:17 -0500

In our department, we collect complete series or seasons and also try to
offer a balanced Television collection Ė comedy/drama,
classic/current.

Among our top circs are CSI and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Iím
pleased to see that seasons of Northern Exposure and Monk are available
and many users are crazy over Wonder Woman Threeís Company and Dukes
of Hazzard. Sadly our complete set of The Avengers didnít move, so
we had to weed that series.

Maybe The Avengers would do better in an Academic setting????

Lesley Lundgren
Librarian & Exhibit Coordinator
Art Music & Audiovisual Services
Allen County Public Library
(260) 421-1200 ext. 2101
http://www.acpl.lib.in.us

>>> MSyp@SLPL.LIB.MO.US 07/14/04 01:51PM >>>

A few suggestions:

"The Office", BBC...
"Freaks & Geeks", underrated (and subsequently canceled) high-school
drama
with fine performances and realistic situations.
"Six Feet Under", HBO

We buy whole series, season by season, and I wouldn't do it any other
way.
People get hooked on a series and want to watch the whole thing in
chronological order. Or perhaps they started watching the show in
season 3
and they want to go back and watch seasons 1 and 2. Doesn't help much
if
you've only got Seasons 1 and 3.

Thanks,
Marc Syp