[Videolib] Television series for academic collections

Syp, Marc P. (MSyp@SLPL.LIB.MO.US)
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:51:31 -0500

A few suggestions:

"The Office", BBC...
"Freaks & Geeks", underrated (and subsequently canceled) high-school drama
with fine performances and realistic situations.
"Six Feet Under", HBO

We buy whole series, season by season, and I wouldn't do it any other way.
People get hooked on a series and want to watch the whole thing in
chronological order. Or perhaps they started watching the show in season 3
and they want to go back and watch seasons 1 and 2. Doesn't help much if
you've only got Seasons 1 and 3.

Thanks,
Marc Syp
Supervisor, Film Library
St. Louis Public Library
314.206.6704

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of John Streepy
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 12:17 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Television series for academic collections

Hello all,
With the summer heat in full effect here in Ellensburg, thoughts turn
to collection development. I have for some time been trying to think of
various television series to propose to purchase for our collection.
This seems like a good time for this as it is becoming popular (read
profitable) for companies to release full seasons of various series, so
there is a good selection. I was wondering what has been some of your
best purchases in this area. Do you buy whole seasons, whole series,
or just get a sampling? For an academic library, I would think sampling
would be best, but sometimes that is not an option.
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Assistant III
Library-Media Circulation