[Videolib] copyright question: fair use or not?

Troy Davis (tdavis@email.lib.utk.edu)
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 11:49:33 -0400

Just wanted to add to the discussion that "small portions of works" is
not really what the statute says, but rather "the amount and
substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work
as a whole."

I think we all agree that this precludes use of the entire work (under
this section...of course there could be exceptions...a poem that is only
two words, a film that last 5 seconds...in these hypothetical cases, one
could argue that "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching,
scholarship, research.." would not be possible without using the entire
"work" in some way.

Troy

--
M. Troy Davis