[Videolib] Security case question(s)

Jaeschke, Myles (mjaesch@tulsalibrary.org)
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 16:19:45 -0500

Karen,
We are in the same boat sometime they the clips just do not want to come out. Some of the packaging when cut to fit in the cases is actually too thick (Warner Bros. DVD cases come to mind) making it very difficult to remove the clips if not impossible. What happens is the holes that the metal hooks go through become misaligned just enough that a clip will go on but will not come off. Sometimes if you squeeze the case together while removing the clip it will come off. I don't know if this has helped, but rest assured you are not alone.

Best,
Myles Jaeschke
Tulsa City-County Library
Media Center

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Karen Fischer
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 3:39 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Security case question(s)

Hi all,
For almost a year now, we have been using clear plastic "Secure Case" DVD
cases that lock with a "Secure Case" plastic strip that snaps into the edge
of the case.
The cases have been gentler on the DVDs than many others and our theft rate
has decreased significantly. We previously used Alpha security cases, which
were a snap to break into.
However, our circulation staff (who have to open hundreds of them each day
for checkout) are not happy with them at all. Some of the staff have serious
difficulty opening them. And their unlocking devices seem to become erratic
after unlocking thousands of DVD cases. The AV staff doesn't have the same
problems, but we don't open hundreds each day.
Does anyone else use these? Have you encountered similar problems? How
were they resolved?
Apparently the Circulation staff is ready to mutiny--but the AV department
really likes these and the DVDs have to be secure.
Thanks for any help,
Karen Fischer
AV Librarian
Mansfield/Richland County Public Library