[Videolib] copyright question: fair use or not?

Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:22:41 -0700

The only teensy pause is the definition of "face-to-face" teaching: the
law really defines such as being in the course of regular instruction in a
place where instruction usually occurs. Your use doesn't technically meet
those requirements.

Would I worry...nah!

At 09:25 AM 7/1/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok, I THINK I know the answer to this, but just in case . . .
>a college wants to show a copy of a recent popular documentary, which is
>in the Media Services nonprint collection, as part of a freshman
>orientation program. The film will be introduced by an instructor, and
>small group discussions of the film will take place the next day, each
>moderated by an instructor. Fair use or not?
>I think it is fair use, because the presentation is in connection with
>face to face teaching activities. The tricky part, the part that gives me
>a teensy little pause, is that the discussions will take place the next day.
>I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this,
>thanks so much!
>Videolib mailing list

UC Berkeley

--Ted Berrigan