Re: [Videolib] Video servers

media2 (media2@burlco.org)
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:17:30 -0400

Jill et al: We have three of them. The oldest goes to December 1999. If
your school/college makes their own productions there is no problem with
putting an MPEG version on a server for access by whom ever the college
wants to have access.

Digital video from most EDUCATIONAL producers can now be obtained
with "Digital Distribution" or "IP(Internet) Transmission" rights.
These rights function in much the same way as "secondary transmission
rights" or "cablecast" rights. The school/college obtains a license to
make the title available from the school server. The license spells out
the limitations or conditions of the access. Factors include, but are
not limited to: streaming or download distribution or both, password
protection at the site, definition of the scope of service area (eg:
access from just the campus, or just schools within a county, or
statewide are examples). Quality of stream or download may/should be
specified as well.
The ill informed can easily obtain IP transmission rights from a
producer who supplies the digital media in a very low resolution format
resulting in a jerky, postcard size picture that is unacceptable to the
end user. See the NAMTC web site at www.namtc.org for the Recommended
Practices regarding resolution, download and streaming digital motion
media for education.
License language may include term of license (life of master,
unlimited, or a set number of years. Issues of physical circulation of
the digital title may be covered too. Some producers will sell IP or
digital licenses but expect the buyer to make the conversion from an
existing VHS copy (which has it's good and mostly bad points). Some sell
the license rights and tack on a charge for the "master" (which
personally I think is a crock).
Pricing on IP Transmission Licenses is as flexible as buying
educational video at the university or regional level. The more you
buy, the lower the cost. The larger the service area defined, the higher
the cost (sometimes). The better relationship you already have with a
producer from buying VHS, the better the deal (mostly). The more
esoteric the content the higher the cost (sometimes).
Feel free to contact me off list if you have questions . . . .

Mark (what's his name) Richie
exDirector, Burlco EMTC
"Never end a sentence with a preposition unless
you want to." Oscar Wilde