RE: [Videolib] Targeting videos

Frank Haulgren (Frank.Haulgren@wwu.edu)
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:34:07 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C45D2D.BBB00304

We've been grappling with this issue for a few years. It's gotten very
bad over the last 18 - 24 months. Our VHS and DVDs are on open shelves
unless they have been placed on course reserve. By far items from the
feature films part of our collection are hit the hardest. We use both
3Ms markers made for VHS and DVDs. While this has made them - in theory
- secure to the building users have been free to wander over 8 floors
without checking them out. I've gone to running quarterly (or more
often) inventories of the collection just to keep on top of what's gone
missing before some irate faculty member comes asking for something we
can't find. We were discovering in the neighborhood of 20 or more
missing titles with each inventory for awhile. Every once in awhile we
get a load of missing items returned anonymously though the outside book
drop most are still sensitized which certainly points to someone with
access to the building though neither the library staff or university
police have been able to point to anyone specific. =20

=20

Now, holding the newly arrived DVDs behind the service desk we've seen
this rate go down significantly. Either that strategy is working or the
culprit has graduated or otherwise moved on. While we set aside a
portion of fine money specifically for replacement of lost and damaged
videos we have stopped replacing most materials pending a remodel of the
area which is now underway.

=20

This may seem extreme but we are very optimistic it will help. We are
enlarging the AV room by about 50%, moving all of the viewing and
listening stations into it and placing a 3M security gate at the only
entrance / exit from the area. Users will have to check out materials
prior to leaving the area for any reason. Since we have never found any
indication that our security markers are being removed from the
materials we are - as I said -optimistic. We have also begun using the
3M DCD-2 overlays on DVDs which cannot be removed without damaging the
disk. =20

=20

I hope that a year from now I'll be able to report to the list that our
theft rate has dwindled to virtually nil - or at least a more reasonable
level

Frank Haulgren=20
ILL / Document Delivery / Media=20
Wilson Library - Western Washington University=20