Re: [Videolib] El Topo has never been legitimately available

Christopher Lewis (clewis@american.edu)
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:59:55 -0400

Thanks to all on the El Topo front. I now have a clear answer to a vexing
question. I guess I'll get the italian DVD and see if it works in our
all-region player.

Chris Lewis
Media Librarian/Humanities Collection Manager
American University Library
202.885.3257
AIM: congolene

If you have no money, be polite.
- Danish proverb

delin@zlb.de
(Delin, Peter)
Sent by: To
videolib-bounces@ videolib@library.berkeley.edu
library.berkeley. cc
edu
Subject
Re: [Videolib] El Topo has never
06/23/2004 08:59 been legitimately available
AM intheUS, correct?

Please respond to
videolib@library.
berkeley.edu

Dear videolibbers,

a correction to my last mail: the version from Italia is as complete as
the Japanese one. The shorter running time comes from the PAL speed up
(25 frames per sec. instead of 24: plus 4% that makes minus 5 min.)
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALSpeedUp/PALSpeedUp.asp

Peter

"Delin, Peter" schrieb:

> Dear videolibbers,
>
> there is a legitimate edition of El Topo, not from rarevideo.com but
> from rarovideo.com - one letter makes the difference!
> http://www.rarovideo.com/schede/eltopo_dvd.htm
> You can get it from this first class Italian mail order shop as a DVD in
> Spanish with English subtitles and region code 0, but PAL!
> It's the 119 minute version (125 min. originally).
>
> If you want the complete uncensored version
> http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0067866/alternateversions
> you can get it from Japan
> http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=OPSD-S134
> This edition is in Spanish with no English subtitles and is region coded
> 2, but NTSC!
>
> With kind regards
> Peter Delin/Videolektorat
> Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
> http://www.zlb.de/index.html
>
> The British video from Nouveaux Pictures is out of print.
>
> Milos Stehlik schrieb:
> >
> > At a screening of EL TOPO a few years ago, Alejandro Jodorowsky, the
> > director, begged anyone in the audience to steal the print from the
> > projection booth, because he so hates Allen Klein who refuses to
release it
> > in any form.
> >
> > There was a legitimate release, so it seems, of both EL TOPO and HOLY
> > MOUNTAIN by a major British independent (forget precisely who,
Artificial
> > Eye?) some years back in the UK - none here.
> >
> > Milos Stehlik
> > Facets Multi-Media, Inc.
> > 1517 West Fullerton Avenue
> > Chicago, IL 60614 USA
> > Voice: 1-773-281-9075
> > FAX: 1-773-929-5437
> > milos@facets.org

Rosner
> > Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 3:10 PM
> > To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
> > Subject: Re: [Videolib] El Topo has never been legitimately available
inthe
> > US, correct?
> >
> > I am not aware of any legit release This one like say El Norte is so
widely
> > bootlegged ( though El Norte HAD a legit release 15 years or so ago)
that it