RE: [Videolib] video categories

Blane Halliday (bhalliday@collier-lib.org)
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:33:21 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Celeste Choate
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 5:27 PM
To: michlib-l@lists.dhal.org; publib@sunsite3.berkeley.edu;
videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] video categories

Please excuse the cross-posting.

We have a collection of over 4,500 DVDs and 2,700 videocassettes in our
main library in the adult feature film area. Juvenile and Nonfiction titles
are shelved in their respective departments. At present, the adult feature
films are shelved (separately from each other) in alphabetical order by
title. In response to customer requests, we're considering the following
categories:
Family Entertainment, Art (as in Art/Foreign Language), In Demand Titles,
Action/Adventure

Has anyone separated their video recordings into categories? How well has
it worked? Which categories did you use? How did you let customers/library
staff know where to find them--call number change, stickers on the spine,
etc?

Please reply directly to me and I will summarize for the list.

Thanks!

Celeste Choate
Celeste B. Choate

Head of Popular Materials

Clinton-Macomb Public Library

40900 Romeo Plank Road

Clinton Township, MI 48038

(586) 226-5051 FAX (586) 226-5058

celeste@cmpl.org

------=_NextPart_000_009C_01C451F2.A1EBFEF0

Celeste,

Here=20 in Collier County we have a fast growing collection of around 8,000 DVDs = and a=20 (slowly shrinking) collection of around 40,000 VHS distributed about = nine=20 branches.  Our categories are Comedy, Drama, Horror, Musical, = Sci-Fi,=20 Western, Series, How-To, Children's, Documentary, Travel, and = Educational. =20 We are considering adding an Action/Adventure category, as well.  = Spine=20 stickers indicating the appropriate genre are placed on the = materials. =20 Just recently (the last 30 days) we have begun adding this genre=20 classification to the item record (instead of a standard call = number), to=20 help the customer find the title in its appropriate genre.  This = system has=20 generally worked well for us, though we do occasionally get the = nit-picking=20 customer who wants to know why title 'X' is placed in 'Y' category and = not 'Z'=20 category.  I agree with the potential of the 'Family Entertainment' = category's opening a huge can of worms...I would not use it. =20

Blane=20 Halliday

Blane Halliday
AV Acquisitions Librarian
Collier County Public = Library