RE: [Videolib] the sad fate of old LPs

Kristen Sanders (ksanders@csusb.edu)
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:13:43 -0700

Here at Cal State San Bernardino we have thousands of LP's in storage in
the basement of Technical Services. Many of the bib records are still in
the database for patrons to access. At the present time, patrons can go to
Circulation and the circ. staff will come down and retrieve them. A few
years back we closed our Music Listening facility to make room for a Water
Resource Institute. The new music CD's are now housed in our Info-Den
where computer software for education etc. is housed. The interesting part
of all of this is when it came time for the renewal of the university's
accreditation all of a sudden the LP collection had importance. The Music
Department here on campus has provided turntables as well as student
assistant help to provide some kind of music facility in the
Library. There has been talk that some of those LP's will be moved to the
Info-Den so there will be greater access. At the time the original music
listening facility was closed any recordings that were made from the LP's
were destroyed due to any possible copyright infringements.

At 12:08 PM 6/10/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Maureen,
>As the old saying goes, "It only hurts till it hits the trash".........
>and you can probably use that shelf space for the new compact discs
>you will buy.. Good luck.
>
>Carol

Kristen Sanders
Head of Special Cataloging