Re: [Videolib] the sad fate of old LPs

Michael Cook (mnc2@cornell.edu)
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:42:29 -0400

--=====================_194587859==.ALT

Maureen,

For God's sake, please don't be pressured into trashing them - yet. Do a
little weeding first, assuming you have the time. Search WorldCat and/or
RLIN (and Ebay) to roughly determine the scarcity of the LP's. This should
at least winnow out the common ones so you are down to the rarer items. If
a title doesn't show up, hold on to it a little longer. *Then* you can get
rid of the commonly held titles. This doesn't solve the replacement issue,
but if you end up being forced to trash them you may be able to rescue for
posterity some items that may be the only copies left. This weeding out
also buys you time to deal with what is remaining.

Digitizing the LP's is a good idea, but be warned that even though there is
adequate software & hardware on the market, the record should of course be
properly cleaned before digitizing, and this adds greatly to labor involved
in the whole process. The quality of the needle, cartridge, etc. and any
equalization that is done all affects the digitized result. That said, all
of this is worth the effort if the alternative is trashing a record that
may be one of the last copies your library (or anyone) will ever see.

You may want to check the Record Collector's Guild
(http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/) and look at their discussion forum,
there are a lot of folks that may have better solutions as to how to deal
with this collection.

As someone who has worked with and cared for vinyl records for decades, my
stomach still turns at how my alma mater in the South (I won't name the
SChool) disposed of *all* its LP's around 1992. I watched as LP's were
dumped en masse down a chute and into a dumpster. Please don't let this
happen where you are!

- Michael

At 11:25 AM 6/10/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Someone a while back asked if there was a comparable listserv for sound
>materials, but I don't recall an answer to this question . . . if there is
>one, please let me know. I need to consult with others about the fate of
>our LP collection (about 800 albums). We have been told to collect in
>compact disc format only, and to discard our record collection. I have
>replaced many of our old titles on compact disc, but many of the ones
>that are left just aren't available in that format. Now I've been told I
>need to "discard" them, but it is killing me to do this. The titles
>include lots of poetry, often read by the poet; drama, lots of it pretty
>obscure, like Langston Hughes' Jericho-Jim Crow, directed by Ailey and
>Hairston . . . lots of opera, including old Doyly Carte productions and
>Norma sung by Callas.
>
>Any ideas? I've thought about recording some from LP to compact disc, for
>titles that are truly impossible to replace. I have tried donating them
>to other schools, but most are in the same situation, not interested in
>taking on more LPs. Any suggestions would be welcome--I feel terrible,
>criminal even, just throwing them out!!!!!!
>Thanks for any suggestions!

Michael Cook
Coordinator, Public Access Computing
Albert R. Mann Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-4301
email: mnc2@cornell.edu
office: 607-255-7959

"Yield and you need not break." - Lao Tzu