RE: [Videolib] the sad fate of old LPs

Carol Dunn (dunn@findlaylibrary.org)
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:08:52 -0400

Maureen,
As the old saying goes, "It only hurts till it hits the trash".........
and you can probably use that shelf space for the new compact discs
you will buy.. Good luck.

Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Maureen Tripp [mailto:Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 11:25 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] the sad fate of old LPs

Someone a while back asked if there was a comparable listserv for sound
materials, but I don't recall an answer to this question . . . if there is
one, please let me know. I need to consult with others about the fate of
our LP collection (about 800 albums). We have been told to collect in
compact disc format only, and to discard our record collection. I have
replaced many of our old titles on compact disc, but many of the ones that
are left just aren't available in that format. Now I've been told I need to
"discard" them, but it is killing me to do this. The titles include lots of
poetry, often read by the poet; drama, lots of it pretty obscure, like
Langston Hughes' Jericho-Jim Crow, directed by Ailey and Hairston . . . lots
of opera, including old Doyly Carte productions and Norma sung by Callas.

Any ideas? I've thought about recording some from LP to compact disc, for
titles that are truly impossible to replace. I have tried donating them to
other schools, but most are in the same situation, not interested in taking
on more LPs. Any suggestions would be welcome--I feel terrible, criminal
even, just throwing them out!!!!!!
Thanks for any suggestions!