RE: [Videolib] save the date vrt gala orlando

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 08:54:40 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C44A11.9275F540

Since I don't think you understand my posistion(s), I really hope you come
to the screening to find out. If you aren't attending the ALA, than I
suggest you read my previously posted copy of a letter to Rep. Mary Bono
which was 'copyright in the news'.
Jed
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of MileFilms@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 11:56 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] save the date vrt gala orlando

In a message dated 5/29/04 4:54:41 PM, Lgoldb@arlingtonva.us writes:

8:00 - 9:30 Willful Infringement, Film Screening & Discussion with
Producer, Jed Horovitz

Okay, I was about to write this privately to a couple of friends, but I
really think that anything I say should not be behind somebody's back. I'm
not a member of ALA or VRT (sorry, but with a son I just don't get out much
and we have a very small staff) so please feel free to disregard this
opinion, but I find this event EXTREMELY questionable.

Mr. Horovitz has proven in his emails to completely disregard current
copyright law and replaces it with utopian ideal. This is not so bad in
itself (I'm all for Utopia myself) except he presents it as fact. Time and
again he has misinformed this list on proper law. There are FAR better
people to talk about copyright issues and willful infringement, if you wish
to call it that. Archivist Rick Prelinger and lawyer Eric Schwartz come
immediately to mind. From my point of view as a distributor, this is exactly
like having a program on how to steal videos from libraries. [And if you so
desire, I have given speeches on medieval pickpocketing training techniques.
:-) ]

Sorry to be a downer, but as those who read this listserv know, I have an
overly active morality combined with a willingness to huff. Feel free to
discuss either topic.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C44A11.9275F540

Since=20 I don't think you understand my posistion(s), I really hope you come to = the=20 screening to find out.  If you aren't attending the ALA, than I = suggest you=20 read my previously posted copy of a letter to Rep. Mary Bono which was=20 'copyright in the news'.
Jed