Re: [Videolib] save the date vrt gala orlando

MileFilms@aol.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:55:49 EDT

--part1_96.c5e9f7e.2dee0105_boundary

In a message dated 5/29/04 4:54:41 PM, Lgoldb@arlingtonva.us writes:

> =A08:00 - 9:30 Willful Infringement, Film Screening & Discussion with=20
> Producer, Jed Horovitz
>=20
Okay, I was about to write this privately to a couple of friends, but I=20
really think that anything I say should not be behind somebody's back. I'm n=
ot a=20
member of ALA or VRT (sorry, but with a son I just don't get out much and we=
=20
have a very small staff) so please feel free to disregard this opinion, but=20=
I=20
find this event EXTREMELY questionable.=20

Mr. Horovitz has proven in his emails to completely disregard current=20
copyright law and replaces it with utopian ideal. This is not so bad in itse=
lf (I'm=20
all for Utopia myself) except he presents it as fact. Time and again he has=20
misinformed this list on proper law. There are FAR better people to talk abo=
ut=20
copyright issues and willful infringement, if you wish to call it that.=20
Archivist Rick Prelinger and lawyer Eric Schwartz come immediately to mind.=20=
>From my=20
point of view as a distributor, this is exactly like having a program on how=
to=20
steal videos from libraries. [And if you so desire, I have given speeches on=
=20
medieval pickpocketing training techniques. :-) ]=20

Sorry to be a downer, but as those who read this listserv know, I have an=20
overly active morality combined with a willingness to huff. Feel free to dis=
cuss=20
either topic.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_96.c5e9f7e.2dee0105_boundary

In a message dated 5/29/04 4:54:41 PM, Lgoldb@arlingtonva.us writes:

=A08:00 - 9:30 Willfu= l Infringement, Film Screening & Discussion with Producer, Jed Horovitz<= BR>

Okay, I was about to write this privately to a couple of friends, but I r= eally think that anything I say should not be behind somebody's back. I'm no= t a member of ALA or VRT (sorry, but with a son I just don't get out much an= d we have a very small staff) so please feel free to disregard this opinion,= but I find this event EXTREMELY questionable.

Mr. Horovitz has proven in his emails to completely disregard current copyri= ght law and replaces it with utopian ideal. This is not so bad in itself (I'= m all for Utopia myself) except he presents it as fact. Time and again he ha= s misinformed this list on proper law. There are FAR better people to talk a= bout copyright issues and willful infringement, if you wish to call it that.= Archivist Rick Prelinger and lawyer Eric Schwartz come immediately to mind.= From my point of view as a distributor, this is
exactly like h= aving a program on how to steal videos from libraries. [And if you so desire= , I have given speeches on medieval pickpocketing training techniques. :-) ]=

Sorry to be a downer, but as those who read this listserv know, I have an ov= erly active morality combined with a willingness to huff. Feel free to discu= ss either topic.