RE: [Videolib] Cataloging Foreign Language Feature Films

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Fri, 28 May 2004 08:45:55 -0500

Holly, in keeping with the fact that consistency does not live at our
library, I have found titles done both ways. However, the English title is
always searchable, and quite often is the first title in the record.
Several titles I looked at did not even give the foreign title. This could
be because of several factors - the foreign title is not on the video
sleeve, or perhaps is not listed in the OCLC record that was used as the
basis for cataloging. Or, one option is to put both titles in the primary
line. I see this a lot with books that have been translated into Spanish.
So, Garcia Marquez' book would be entered as Vivir para Contarla = Living to
Tell the Tale. "Living to Tell the Tale" would be listed as the Additional
Title. As long as they can search by the most commonly known title, I think
that your patrons who want foreign films are probably savvy enough to read
through a bib record to see all the title information. Hope this helps.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street