RE: [Videolib] Cataloging Foreign Language Feature Films

Konkel, Mary (Konkel@cdnet.cod.edu)
Thu, 27 May 2004 13:30:03 -0500

Since many of us are using World cataloging utilities to catalog our
titles, we wouldn't be fair to the rest of the diverse universe in just
using English or popular titles. As an academic institution which
supports the teaching of other languages besides English, we wouldn't be
able tell our users what titles we actually had in a foreign language if
we chose to catalog everything with a primary English title. We have
international teach-ins, global film fests, etc. Any online system
should have the capability of indexing multiple titles in the same
record or it isn't very user friendly. Think about titles with start
with a publishers name or a company name-- a cataloger would always make
an additional title access point for the title without the initial name
eg. XXXXX's guide to... or XXXX directory of... PLEASE
PLEASE DO NOT go against national cataloging standards. Whoever is
cataloging in OCLC is not making the DEFINITIVE record, they are
cataloging according to the rules. As publishers or distributors of
these films, it would be a service to your clients to reference English
and foreign titles. Often it is as simple as going to a movie database
such as the Internet movie database to find the foreign and "ALSO KNOWN
AS" English title. I often use publisher/distributor Web sites for
cataloging assistance. Thanks for listening.

======================
Mary S. Konkel
Assistant Professor
Head of Technical Services