RE: [Videolib] Cataloging Foreign Language Feature Films

Herbert, Rue (rherbert@lib.usf.edu)
Thu, 27 May 2004 11:41:22 -0400

In looking at our catalog, we seem to have entries both ways. However, patrons can search the online catalog by title in either Engligh or the original language, and the entry will come up showing both titles.

Rue M. Herbert
Media Resources
Tampa Library
University of South Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Holly Sammons
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 9:16 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Cataloging Foreign Language Feature Films

Before I ask my question, let me preface it by saying I am NOT a
cataloger! But I am having a cataloging battle.

I'd like my foreign language videos (dvd's and vc's)to be cataloged with
the primary title being English and the additional title in the language
the film was made (making it more user friendly). For instance, the film
"Shower" would have that as the primary title, and the Chinese title, "Xi
zao" would be the additional title.

My contention is that the average patron would search for "Shower" not "Xi
zao"!!! I know the general rule about title page, but with a video there
is no way a patron can view the "title page" without putting it in a
machine! And often there is NOTHING on the container that says the
foreign language title. Titles on video packages are often in English.

Is this reasonable? How do other libraries do it? My library's catalog is
so user unfriendly that this detail makes an enormous difference.

Thanks in advance.

--
Holly Sammons, Librarian
Onondaga County Public Library