RE: [Videolib] closed captioning on videos

Ben Achtenberg (Ben@fanlight.com)
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:33:18 -0400

Here's the link for Fanlight's listing of captioned titles:
http://www.fanlight.com/captioned.shtml

We continue to try to release as many films as possible with
closed-captioning, but sometimes have to make difficult financial decisions
based on subject matter and potential market. When captions are not
available we can often provide a transcript if that will help. With
captioning costs at $500-1,000 and up per half hour film, it's not likely
we'll be able to retroactively caption many of our older titles. We wish we
could.

Ben Achtenberg

At 10:34 AM 5/26/04 -0700, you wrote:
>Jessica,
>What about passing the cost on to the customer? If it costs $500 for you to
>caption a video, then raise the price by $2 or $3 or even $10 per video and
>recoup it that way. I would gladly pay extra to get a captioned video. I
>think that others would be willing to do this too. I know it would be an
>added burden for the distributors, but more and more of us are being
>required to purchase only captioned videos, and your consumer pool will be
>shrinking.
>Thanks,
>Jill Baker
>AV Librarian
>San Diego Mesa College

Ben Achtenberg / Fanlight Productions
4196 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02131
(617) 469-4999 Fax: (617) 469-3379
Email: Ben@Fanlight.com