Re: [Videolib] closed captioning on videos

Dylan McGinty (dylan@frif.com)
Wed, 26 May 2004 14:54:11 -0400

Jessica's comments begs the question: does the California law have an
exception for videos/dvds that are entirely (or mostly) subtitled (all
voice over, narration, dialogue etc)? We've looked into this, and most of
the deaf advocacy organizations that define close captioning require the
extra, ambient symbols (music symbol for music etc), but perhaps the
California law has a less stringent definition?

That is, from where does California take its definition of closed captions,
and does this definition exclude programs that are completely subtitled in
English?

Dylan McGinty
First Run/Icarus Films

Dylan M. McGinty