RE: [Videolib] closed captioning on videos

Lori Stevens (stevenlo@uvsc.edu)
Wed, 26 May 2004 12:42:38 -0600

Hi Jill,
I went through the same thing at sour institution last fall. I called the federal government ADA office in Colorado which investigates non-compliance issues and they told me that films DO NOT have to be in closed captioned, the ACT only requires you to make reasonable accomodations. That if there is a hearing impaired student, AND they have gone through your campus disabilities office, AND an accomodation is listed in the letter only THEN do you have to make a "reasonable accomodation" which could include paying someone to sit next to the TV and sign the film (way cheaper than Close captioning a title!) or preparing a written transcript (also much cheaper than closed captioning a film). The institution chooses how they will accomodate and the only requirement is that it must be effective. The rules are a little different for K-12 but for higher ed, that is the way the law sits and there is nothing in there that requires you to close caption your titles. I know you probably have to
go through a lot more red tape than I did, but show them the cost of close captioning 1 60 minute title. I am sure this hasn't been thought through and someone on some board somewhere thought this would be a good idea. If you can get them to switch back it would save an already cash strapped state system beau-coup bucks.

This is the website of the bunch I talked to. ADA is enforced by the Office of Civil Rights.

http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/disabilityoverview.html

Good luck!

Lori Stevens
Media Librarian
Utah Valley State College Library
Orem, Utah 84058

Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students
and they check out books. And then they learn things."

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 1997)

>>> jibaker@sdccd.cc.ca.us 05/26/04 10:30 AM >>>
California Community Colleges are under direction from the Chancellor's
Office to purchase only closed caption videos in order to be in compliance
with Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Therefore, we must
purchase only closed captioned videos, or agree to have them captioned out
of local funds before they are added to the collection at our site. It is
very hard on the faculty, as they want to purchase videos to augment their
teaching, and most educational titles are not captioned. Therefore, they
have to come up with the money to caption, which runs about $6/minute. I am
hoping that soon all videos will come with closed captioning, but I think
that the big institutions will need to take the same stand that the
California Community Colleges have taken in order to encourage the
distributors to do this. It has essentially eliminated about 75% of what we
would like to buy, because we don't have the money to caption it. I am
interested in seeing what others have to say on this.
Thanks,
Jill Baker
AV Librarian
San Diego Mesa College