RE: [Videolib] closed captioning on videos

Elizabeth Stanley (Elizabeth@bullfrogfilms.com)
Wed, 26 May 2004 13:12:22 -0400

Jill Baker,

Bullfrog Films offers a growing list of closed captioned titles:

http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/captioned.html

Contact me for ordering information. Thanks for your inquiry.

Best,
Elizabeth Stanley
Bullfrog Films
www.bullfrogfilms.com

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jill Baker
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 11:46 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] closed captioning on videos

California Community Colleges are under direction from the Chancellor's
Office to purchase only closed caption videos in order to be in
compliance with Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Therefore, we must purchase only closed captioned videos, or agree to
have them captioned out of local funds before they are added to the
collection at our site. It is very hard on the faculty, as they want to
purchase videos to augment their teaching, and most educational titles
are not captioned. Therefore, they have to come up with the money to
caption, which runs about $6/minute. I am hoping that soon all videos
will come with closed captioning, but I think that the big institutions
will need to take the same stand that the California Community Colleges
have taken in order to encourage the distributors to do this. It has
essentially eliminated about 75% of what we would like to buy, because
we don't have the money to caption it. I am interested in seeing what
others have to say on this.
Thanks,
Jill Baker
AV Librarian