RE: [Videolib] closed captioning on videos

Jill Baker (jibaker@sdccd.cc.ca.us)
Wed, 26 May 2004 08:30:08 -0700

California Community Colleges are under direction from the Chancellor's
Office to purchase only closed caption videos in order to be in compliance
with Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Therefore, we must
purchase only closed captioned videos, or agree to have them captioned out
of local funds before they are added to the collection at our site. It is
very hard on the faculty, as they want to purchase videos to augment their
teaching, and most educational titles are not captioned. Therefore, they
have to come up with the money to caption, which runs about $6/minute. I am
hoping that soon all videos will come with closed captioning, but I think
that the big institutions will need to take the same stand that the
California Community Colleges have taken in order to encourage the
distributors to do this. It has essentially eliminated about 75% of what we
would like to buy, because we don't have the money to caption it. I am
interested in seeing what others have to say on this.
Thanks,
Jill Baker
AV Librarian
San Diego Mesa College

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Herbert, Rue
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 6:53 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] closed captioning on videos

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has a statement in their video
collection development policy that addresses in any way the purchse of
videos with closed captioning. While we always try to purchase the cc
version (if there is a choice), in some cases titles from smaller,
independent distributors don't always provide captioning. I've occasionally
been surprised at receiving a non-captioned video from large, well known
distributors. I've been asked to include something in my updated policy,
and want to be as pro-active as possible while remaining balanced regarding
the various campus needs and requirements.

Also, has anyone had experience with the OCmaker from ClosedCaption Maker?
This product provides a method for producing open captions for VHS tapes,
and indicates being particularly appropriate for existing Library VHS
collections.

Thank you in advance for any input you might have.

Rue

Rue M. Herbert
Media Resources
Tampa Library