RE: [Videolib] Film Movement via Recorded Books

Mon, 24 May 2004 10:32:31 -0500

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is relevant, but I started a monthly film literacy
series based solely on contemporary issues by independent filmmakers.
The documentaries did not come from the Film Movement series, although
I'm gamed to show films that will spark an interest!

I really had to seek the support of my fellow librarians who are
collection managers and experts in their field of study. For example, I
showed Bowling for Columbine, Children Underground, Trembling Before G-D
and Badasssss Cinema this past semester. I asked librarians who were
associated with the issues in the film to hold a discussion immediately
following the film and to tie in library resources. Many of the
screenings started around 6pm here in the Main library media viewing
room. The parking can be absolutely horrendous, but I don't know where
else to show the films. It helped that I provided light refreshments.

At first, we had a very low turnout, something like 6 students showed
up. By April, we had 22 people from both the academic and public
community.

IU-Bloomington always has at least 10-20 events happening a day during
the normal semester, so there is no way to pull in the masses at one
time. But, the fact that 20 people showed up for an evening screening
said a lot-- we still have enthusiastic film buffs interested in
documentary films.

I will continue this series in the fall, and I'm looking for ways to
collaborate with neighboring public and academic libraries who are
suffering budget cuts to collaborate with them and hold monthly or
quarterly free film screenings and discussions. I'm even willing to
travel to other institutions as a guest host.

I'm also open to ideas from the rest of you if you are currently having
media literacy film series.

Monique Threatt
Media Librarian
IU Bloomington