Re: [Videolib] Video question

Tue, 18 May 2004 12:48:56 -0700

--=====================_16185468==.ALT

Here are a few:

On the Eighth Day.
Documents the development and use of reproductive technology, suggesting
that science and industry have combined to transform the act of procreation
into the business of making babies. Explores the ethical, moral and legal
questions surrounding in vitro fertilization and its technological
offspring. 1992. 2 videotapes, 51 min. each. Women Make Movies

Ethics in America series (Annenberg) Does Doctor Know Best? (Ethics
in America ; 4).
Columbia University Seminars on Media & Society. Moderator, Arthur Miller;
series host, Fred W. Friendly. A panel of physicians and others from the
medical profession, journalists, and jurists explore the ethical conflicts
between a doctor's paternalism and a patient's autonomy. 58 min.

The Human Experiment (Ethics in America; 9).
Columbia University Seminars on Media & Society. Moderator, Lewis Kaden;
series host, Fred W. Friendly. A panel of prominent representatives from
the fields of medicine, government service, the judiciary, journalism,
religion, and academe discuss the ethical ramifications of human
experimentation in medical research. A hypothetical medical test of a new
drug for the treatment of AIDS serves as the focus for the examination of
such issues as the propriety of risking the life of one patient in order to
save millions in the future and the use of placebos on victims of serious
diseases. 58 min.

Who Plays God?: Medicine, Money, and Ethics in American Health Care
Explores a variety of life and death situations to illustrate the spectrum
of highly controversial ethical decisions made daily in modern American
medicine. The program looks at the decisions that underlie the use of
health-care dollars. When is life support provided and stopped? Who gets
the transplants, the best technology and treatment? Who lives longer and
who does not? The program features five segments that portray choices
concerning prolonged life support, the painful struggle of extremely
premature babies, the allocation of organ transplants, the crises that
accompany the inaccessiblity of health insurance, and the often thwarted
desire to die with dignity. 1996. 120 min. Films for the Humanities

Matter of Life and Death
From the late 1800's through the present day this film investigates the
remarkable breakthroughs in surgery, vaccines, drugs and medical
technology; medicine's new ethical questions; and assumptions about life
and death. Topics investigated include fighting disease, the discovery of
penicillin and insulin, and the history of surgery and organ transplants.
120 min. PBS (may be out of distribution)

A Question of Genes: Inherited Risks
Explores the ethical, moral and medical implications of the powerful new
technology of genetic testing as it follows the personal journey of seven
individuals and families who discover potential inherited genetic
weaknesses. 116 min PBS (may be out of distribution)

Enviroethics
Do we have duties and obligations to future generations who do not yet
exist? Do they have rights? Philosopher Ken Knisely and guests discuss
these and other questions about our obligations to protect the environment
for generations yet to come. Originally broadcast on the television program
"No Dogs or Philosophers Allowed" on Sept. 12, 1993. 60 min.

ield of Genes
There are many genetically altered foods on the market now, including
soybean, canola, and corn. This program investigates the biotechnology
industry's claims that the creation of genetically altered foods will be
beneficial to the world's food suppy and considers the potential dangers
and ethics of "improving on nature" with seed crops and livestock.
1997. Bullfrog Films

At 09:56 AM 5/18/2004, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>a question for the collective intelligence, does any one know of a some
>good videos on technological and environemntal ethics. I have a prof
>who wants to preview some for our possible purchase. Thanks in
>advance.
>jhs
>
>John H. Streepy
>Media Assistant III

[...]