[Videolib] Streaming??

Jed Horovitz (JedH@internetvideoarchive.com)
Tue, 18 May 2004 09:31:36 -0400

I have been in the streaming arena for almost seven years and yet this kind
of takes me by surprise. We stream previews and music videos. Streaming,
in my view, is visual information delivery. I would be very hesitant to
watch a full film this way.

If this is (is going to be) really a business, I need to let my sails out a
bit. What do you all think? I understand the economics can create a
win-win for schools and distributors but is streaming only for educational
films or is it catching on for 'art' films? How do teachers use it in
classes? Is it just for self study?

Memberships, Subscriptions, Limited licenses, pay per view are all possible.
What sort of business model appeals to schools, public libraries, etc?

Internet Video Archive has tons of technical capacity (expert people,
bandwidth, servers) but a very low overhead so I am sure we can provide
value if there really is a business. Are there rights holders who would
want to provide this kind of access on a % basis? (We have no money for
advances.) Would you recruit Indy producers or go after distributors? What
are your institutions plans?

Jed

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Mark W. Kopp
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 8:27 AM
To: joel@microcinema.com; videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] United Streaming??

I would whole-heartedly recommend the AIMS Multimedia
DigitalCurriculum.com over the United Streaming Package, hands down. We
started with AIMS and our teachers are VERY excited with the delivery
and format (bandwidth sensitivities recognized). A number of our
teachers (we serve approximately 5,100 teachers and 65,000 students),
have experience with United Streaming, and the feedback in comparison to
AIMS has been nearly 100% in favor of AIMS over United Streaming.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like further discussion of features,
etc.

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Instructional Materials Services