Re: [Videolib] United Streaming??

Mon, 17 May 2004 17:41:29 -0700

Haven't heard of these folks, Joel...but I DO have a fundamental,
philosophical question re this service and similar shots at VOD: why? I
cannot, for the very life of me, understand why anyone who has any concern
at all for the moving image would opt for the 240 by 360 herky jerky
visual travesty that most VOD delivers (bandwidth be damned!) rather than
opting to go the disc and/or tape-and-player route. We just ain't there
yet! Forget projection: even for individual study, we ain't there
yet. I'm always amazed and amused by the willingness of the early and
easily converted to throw the baby out with the analog bathwater...

I'm also somewhat amused by the concept of "The largest and most current
K-12 video/video clip library available today." Cool, I guess, if you're a
teacher who's inclined to develop a curriculum around a random collection
of clips or--at best--a random collection of whichever titles the vendor
has been able to clear rights for.

gary

At 01:01 PM 5/17/2004, you wrote:
>Hello VidLib
>I am wondering if any of you have used the United Streaming service
>and/or have purchased a blanket license for your school in order to
>use this educational-based video on demand/download service??
>I am curious to hear any feedback.
>For those not familiar with the service you can learn more here:
>http://www.unitedstreaming.com/
>
>Kind regards,
>Joel
>
>Joel S. Bachar, Founder
>Microcinema International/Blackchair DVD Collection
>531 Utah Street, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
>415-637-1345
>www.microcinema.com

UC Berkeley

****