RE: [Videolib] SSNs

Syp, Marc P. (MSyp@SLPL.LIB.MO.US)
Tue, 11 May 2004 17:55:11 -0500

Yes, yes, and yes.

We don't use SSNs and yes we have lots of problems. We do ask for birthdate
and mother's maiden name, but if a patron doesn't want to provide that
information, we don't force it. The only thing we require at the time of
issuance is a valid ID for proof of street address or proof of various other
conditions to determine eligibilty. The only pieces of information we
absolutely require are a name and street address. Basically that means that
we have a ton of patrons that just go out and get a new library card as soon
as they've maxed out their first one. Sometimes we catch them and sometimes
we don't. The problem is, if they get turned down at one branch, they
usually just head over to another one until they find someone who will issue
a library card because they haven't checked our patron records closely
enough to determine if they have already been issued a card.

We have cases where a patron has been issued 4 library cards -- a married
woman with a hyphenated last name has been listed Mary X-Y, Mary X Y, Mary
X, and Mary Y, and all records have slight to massive fines. We also get a
lot of people using their mother's, brother's, daughter's, cousin's card,
and sometimes it's very difficult to tell, as we don't generally make a
practice of asking for picture ID while someone is handing us a library
card. Also, to my knowledge we actually allow this practice. Don't ask me
why. Some people think it's nuts, but we're pretty lenient. It's part of
what we call public service, I suppose! :-)

Thanks,
Marc Syp
Supervisor, Film Library
St. Louis Public Library