RE: [Videolib] Public Performance licensing question

Syp, Marc P. (MSyp@slpl.lib.mo.us)
Tue, 11 May 2004 16:02:40 -0500

You're absolutely right. I don't check the blockbuster titles but I always
check on classics and foreign films. And luckily nobody has asked me to show
any Frederick Wiseman films yet... (Aside: I do have access to a 16mm copy
of Titticut Follies... Please lord spare me from the Wrath of Zipporah!!)

Thanks,
Marc Syp
Supervisor, Film Library
St. Louis Public Library
314.206.6704

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jessica
Rosner
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 2:39 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Public Performance licensing question

> Yeah, we don't report either (to Movie Licensing USA, a division of
Swank),
> but the branch managers pretty much run all of the titles by me first. If
> title is not covered under the blanket license we usually pay a small fee
> Swank if they own the PPR on it.
>

> Marc Syp
> Supervisor, Film Library
> St. Louis Public Library
> 314.206.6704

well it is hardly your fault. You really have no way of knowing that
a film released by Warner Bros , Columbia etc is NOT covered by
the license and it gets even trickier as rights expire and change hands.
Frankly for standard blockbusters & kids films I suspect you would rarely
go wrong but as usual with foreign, independent and some classic films
there is a possibility of believing something is covered when it is not
For things like the Chaplin films and NOWHERE IN AFRICA I strongly suspect
that more than a few libraries may well have shown these.

In an attempt to provide an easy one stop shopping, Movie Licensing
doesn't really want to be bothered with what to them I imagine
are small details. However I believe this could be easily resolved by having
a MASTER LIST ON LINE that should be checked and kept up to date Again it
brings up the intriguing though admittedly irrelevant to US question of how
many actors, directors , writers etc get screwed in this since money is NOT
reported to a SPECIFIC title

As for our friend in Canada. You have my sympathy. I have NO IDEA
how you guys manage when such a large number of films can't be covered
by PPR and you have no face to face teaching exemption.

--
Jessica Rosner
Kino International