RE: [Videolib] The Animation Show Volume One DVD Now Available

Joel S. Bachar (joel@microcinema.com)
Tue, 11 May 2004 15:01:52 -0600

Dear Videolib List
My sincere apologies for this New Release posting. I meant to send it
to Videonews and I didn't notice that my Outlook chose the wrong email
address.
My regrets,
Joel

> Joel -
>
> While I appreciate learning about new products from your company,
some time ago it was decided that such announcements should not be
directed to VideoLib.

> Please direct announcements of new products to the VideoNews
listserv instead of Videolib.

> Videonews@library.berkeley.edu
>
> As with VideoLib, VideoNews requires subscription to the list in
order to post.

> Thank you.
>

> deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
> Media / Communication Studies / Women's Studies
> Arizona State University West
> P.O. Box 37100
> Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
> Phone: 602.543.8522
>

> > ----------
Joel S. Bachar
Available

> > Now Available from The Blackchair DVD Collection:
> > The Animation Show Volume One presented by Mike Judge and Don
Hertzfeldt

> > Release Date: May 4, 2004
> > Price: $70.00 with PPR
> > 101 minutes
> > UPC: 898022000098
> > Note The DVD is not yet rated however some films may not be
suitable for
> > children under 12.
> > To order:
> > Joel S. Bachar
> > 415-637-1345
> > fax: 509-351-1530
> > orders@microcinema.com
> > www.microcinema.com
> >
> > Synopsis:
> >
> > Finally, there's an animation festival with the artists themselves
at the
> > helm. Following the critically acclaimed theatrical tour of The
Animation
> > Show we bring you The Animation Show Volume One on DVD! Kicking
off in the
> > spring of 2004, The Animation Show Volume One is a collection of
the
> > best-animated short films from around the world, personally
programmed by
> > co-producers Mike Judge (Office Space, and King of the Hill) and
Academy
> > Award nominated animator Don Hertzfeldt.
> >
> > This year> '> s DVD line-up spans eight countries, featuring
everything from
> > 2003 Academy Award winner Adam Elliot> '> s three claymation films
Brother,
> > Cousin, and Uncle to the very latest in computer animation - with
four
> > recent Academy Award nominees (including Mt Head, The Rocks, Fifty
Percent
> > Grey, and The Cathedral), brand new films from Mike and Don, plus
extra
> > surprises. Never before has such a visually stunning and hilarious
> > collection of animation been gathered together in one program.
> >
> > Each year the Animation Show plans to follow its new theatrical
tour with a
> > DVD compilation packed with award winning animation from around
the world.
> > Starting with this first volume Mike and Don have asked the
filmmakers
> > involved to share insight into their individual technique with an
amazing
> > assortment of special features. This is the first animated
compilation to
> > take such an in-depth look into the inner workings of so many great
> > filmmakers.
> >
> > There is an enormous surplus of great animation that rarely sees
wide
> > distribution or exposure. This DVD series will function to
spotlight these
> > hidden classics as well as showcase older animation greats that
have yet to
> > find their way to DVD. The Animation Show has put together a new
ongoing
> > volume of work that will catalog the greatest animation created
and present
> > this work to moviegoers and animation fans for years to come.
> >
> > Films included:
> > 1. Welcome to the Show directed by Don Hertzfeldt
> > 2. Mt. Head (Atama Yama) directed by Koji Yamamura
> > 3. Brother directed by Adam Elliot
> > 4. Parking directed by Bill Plympton
> > 5. Adventures of Ricardo, The directed by Corky Quackenbush
> > 6. Moving Illustrations of Machines directed by Jeremy Solterbeck
> > 7. LA COURSE Ą L'ABĪME (The Ride to the Abyss) directed by Georges
> > Schwizgebel
> > 8. Billy's Balloon directed by Don Hertzfeldt
> > 9. Cousin directed by Adam Elliot
> > 10. The Cathedral directed by Tomek Baginski
> > 11. Intermission in the Third Dimension directed by Don Hertzfeldt
> > 12. Fifty Percent Grey directed by Ruairi Robinson
> > 13. Uncle directed by Adam Elliot>
> > 14. Early Pencil Tests and Other Experiments directed by Mike Judge
> > 15. Aria directed by Pjotr Sapegin
> > 16. Bathtime in Clerkenwell directed by Alex Budovsky
> > 17. The Rocks (Das Rad) directed by Chris Arvid, Heidi Stenner,
Uibel
> > Wittlinger
> > 18. End of the Show, The directed by Don Hertzfeldt
> >
> > About the Producers:
> >
> > MIKE JUDGE
> >
> > Mike Judge is no stranger to successful comedy animation. Prior
to KING OF
> > THE HILL, he was creator and executive producer of the irreverent
cable
> > series BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD. Judge also provided the voices for
Beavis,
> > Butt-Head and the additional male characters, and wrote and
performed the
> > theme music for the series. Additionally, he wrote and directed
the hit
> > film BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD DO AMERICA. Judge's animation career
includes
> > creating the well-known series animation piece, OFFICE SPACE,
which aired as
> > a short film on cable and later as a recurring sketch on "Saturday
Night
> > Live." Two of his other short films, "huh?" and "The Honkey
> > Problem," have appeared in the Sick and Twisted Festival of
Animation. A
> > self-motivated talent, Judge taught himself to animate in 1991
with the aid
> > of borrowed library books, a second-hand animation camera and a
few cheap
> > animation supplies. Previously, he performed music on the road.
In 1998,
> > Judge made his live-action directorial debut with the film OFFICE
SPACE,
> > which he also wrote, for Twentieth Century Fox. In addition to
serving as
> > co-creator and executive producer of KING OF THE HILL, Judge is
also the
> > voice of Hank Hill and Boomhauer. He plans to return to live
action this
> > spring with the feature > "> 3301> "> which he currently prepping
for Fox.

> > DON HERTZFELDT
> >
> > Armed with a sketchbook and pencil in hand, Hertzfeldt is out to
> > re-introduce hand-drawn animation back to this country, where, it
has become
> > somewhat of a lost artform. Sometimes shocking, always
provocative, and
> > continually entertaining, Hertzfeldt> '> s unconventional animated
shorts have
> > turned audiences upside down with hilarity and have reduced even
the
> > toughest critics to tears of laughter. From the 2001 Academy Award-
nominated
> > short, REJECTED to the critically acclaimed 1998 BILLY> '> S
BALLOON, Hertzfeldt
> > has exhibited that raw and rudimentary stick figures can sometimes
make for
> > the most sophisticated animation. Hertzfeldt> '> s irreverent
take on animation
> > has garnered him much attention within the animation community and
the
> > film community at large. His storytelling contains a wit that may
lend to
> > thundering laughter and a bit of head-scratching. This year> '> s
THE ANIMATION
> > SHOW brings Don together with fellow animator, Mike Judge to bring
animation
> > to the forefront. Disillusioned by the current state of animation
and the
> > commercial glut it has fallen into, they have assembled some of
the world> '> s
> > best animation into a single program. In bringing some of these
indie
> > masterpieces to the big screen, Hertzfeldt is out to change the
way that we
> > look at animation forever.
> >
> > Extra Features:
> > -Audio commentaries by animators Bill Plympton and Corky
Quackenbush.
> > -Deleted pencil test by Mike Judge
> > -Special effects commentary and production art galleries by Don
Hertzfeldt.
> > -"Mt. Head" galleries of concept art and character design.
> > -"The Cathedral" motion tests, animatics and production art.
> > -"The Rocks" production photo album.
> > -"La Course A L'abime" storyboard to scene comparison.
> > -plus much more!
> >
> > To order:
> > Joel S. Bachar
> > 415-637-1345
> > fax: 509-351-1530
> > orders@microcinema.com
> > www.microcinema.com

Joel S. Bachar, Founder
Microcinema International
531 Utah Street, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
415-637-1345
www.microcinema.com