RE: [Videolib] Public Performance licensing question

Syp, Marc P. (MSyp@SLPL.LIB.MO.US)
Tue, 11 May 2004 13:47:58 -0500

Yeah, we don't report either (to Movie Licensing USA, a division of Swank),
but the branch managers pretty much run all of the titles by me first. If a
title is not covered under the blanket license we usually pay a small fee to
Swank if they own the PPR on it.

Marc Syp
Supervisor, Film Library
St. Louis Public Library
314.206.6704

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Stephen
Davies
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 12:20 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Public Performance licensing question

Jessica,
our two blanket licenses are for Audio Ciné ( http://www.acf-film.com
) and Criterion (VEC Criterion) ( http://www.criterionpic.com ).

We do not receive a title list or printed catalogue of available
films.
We expect our instructors to search the online databases at the
websites listed above, and then to query us about the rights for films
which aren't listed but which are distributed by the major studios which
are represented. Sometimes an email or phone call gets a clearance for a
film which wasn't listed: e.g. _Willard_ (1971), which had been pulled
while the _Willard_ (2003) remake was in theatres.
I'm still not sure why both distributors lists _Streetcar named
desire_ (1951) as theirs!?!?!

As part of our license, instructors are required to report to me
(Library Classroom Services) their film usage, which I then collate and
report back to the distributors. (Reminder: Canadians need PPR even for
face-to-face instruction situations.)
The British Columbia-wide blanket licenses, as co-ordinated by
Langara College, Vancouver, has dispensed with the reporting for all the
schools in the province. It turns out that it's all in how you negotiate!

Stephen Davies
Mount Royal College, Calgary
mailto:SDavies@mtroyal.ca

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed