Re: [Videolib] adding pornographic films to collection

Fri, 07 May 2004 09:38:39 -0700

--=====================_4885531==.ALT

Hullo

Well, the Chair of Berkeley's Film Studies Dept., Linda Williams, is the
doyen of porn (academically speaking). Last semester we had more sleazy,
grind-house stuff on reserve than you can shake a stick at (ooops, maybe
that's the wrong phrase to use here). The only real issue is the fact that
viewing carrels in MRC are pretty close together, and it's a bit, er....,
awkward sometimes. We generally put viewers of this stuff in group viewing
rooms, but that's not without its perils, either.

Now, most of this stuff was on temporary reserve. We do have some softcore
in the permanent collection. We catalog it, and that's that. Interesting
to note that the MRC cataloger--bless her bibliographic heart--is an
extremely devout Catholic. Over the years I've thrown more weird,
culturally off-the-wall, lubricious, and patently blasphemous stuff at her
than I care to think about. To her enduring credit, she tackles it all
without flinching...
I'm a lucky guy!

At 08:18 AM 5/7/2004, you wrote:
>Ok, I brought this topic up about a year ago, and got a lot of feedback,
>mostly philosophical . . . What I am hoping for this time is practical
>advice: Several faculty members have requested I purchase pornographic
>titles from the 60's and 70's for the collection. They will be used in
>classes on genre film, and, as part of our Media Services collection, can
>be viewed by students inhouse.
>Do other academic libraries collect this sort of material? Is it handled
>any differently in terms of cataloging, storage, or access?
>I'd appreciate hearing from others who have already dealt with these
>questions--thanks so much!

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan