RE: [Videolib] Wherefore video? Moving to DVD?

Elizabeth Stanley (Elizabeth@bullfrogfilms.com)
Wed, 5 May 2004 14:44:58 -0400

Bullfrog Films is currently making the transition to more DVD titles, working with the independent producers we represent who wish to release additional interviews, background footage, and enhanced material on the DVD release of their documentaries. In other cases, where we are doing a transfer from VHS video to DVD, the program will be available on DVD-R.

http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/dvd.html

For a library or school that wishes to purchase the DVD or DVD-R format of a video already in their collection, Bullfrog Films offers a reduced price for the DVD or DVD-R. Please contact us for full details. We will continue to distribute VHS videos, and negotiate digital rights for streaming on request.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Stanley
Bullfrog Films
P.O. Box 149
Oley, PA 19457
V. 800-543-3764
F. 610-370-1978
www.bullfrogfilms.com

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu [mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Rick Faaberg
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 11:16 PM
To: Videolib List
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

On 5/4/04 12:42 PM "Gary Handman" <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> sent this
out:

> Let's hear from the California Newsreels, Filmakers Libraries,
> First/Run Icaruses, Cinema Guilds, New Day Films of the world...what's
> the plan? I don't see a move toward a wholesale leap onto disc. What
> happens if the tape/tape player market really does evaporate in the
> next few years? Where you gonna be?

Iąd say we're somewhere near where we were about 20 years ago in K-12 with our huge collections of 16mm film, perhaps.

It took me 10-12 years to complete the changeover from film to VHS. Before the ahem "powers that be" eliminated my position, we were beginning the transition to streaming and DVD, and the schools were accepting the changes amazingly quickly - especially DVD.

But I guess the bottom line might be that we need to identify critical titles and begin putting the pressure on for their conversion to digital in whatever format so at least the digital signal will be there for future licensing/use.

And buy a few palettes of VCRs. :-)

The price on them is certainly going to go up as did 16mm projectors many years ago.

Rick Faaberg