RE: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

Tue, 04 May 2004 14:45:03 -0700

--=====================_22881000==.ALT

Here's the difference (and it's a huge one, I think):

The players in the vinyl arena were largely big producers and media=20
conglomerates (yeah, I know about the Bix Beiderbecke Society recordings=20
and that type of thing...still). The issue we're currently faced with is=20
a) Mega-guys in one camp (Hurray for HOLLYWOOD! and Ted Turner...) and b)=20
the threadbare documentary world in the other.

I see the ineluctable march toward a new format as a real threat to (b)=20
(already on thin ice)... I guess the ability to cheaply burn DVD-Rs might=
=20
be a saving grace, but I worry still...

At 01:57 PM 5/4/2004, you wrote:
>Is this situation not unlike the one that "vinyl records" went through=20
>some years ago with the advent of CD?
>
>It seems to me that there are now, after many years, recordings you can=20
>buy on CD that if "vinyl records" were still in the marketplace, would=20
>probably never have seen a printing again. Perhaps with a new format,=20
>eventually these obscure films that are even now out of print on VHS may=20
>eventually re-appear on DVD or whatever format becomes standardized in the=
=20
>future.
>
>Key words here are perhaps and standardized
>
>Rob Hooft
>JIBC Library
>New Westminster, BC

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan=20

Here's the difference (and it's a huge one, I think):

The players in the vinyl arena were largely big producers and media conglomerates (yeah, I know about the Bix Beiderbecke Society recordings and that type of thing...still).  The issue we're currently faced with is a) Mega-guys in one camp (Hurray for HOLLYWOOD! and Ted Turner...) and b) the threadbare documentary world in the=20 other.

I see the ineluctable march toward a new format as a real threat to (b) (already on thin ice)...  I guess the ability to cheaply burn DVD-Rs might be a saving grace, but I worry still...