RE: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

Hooft, Robert (RHOOFT@jibc.bc.ca)
Tue, 4 May 2004 13:57:36 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4321A.6D8F1E22

Is this situation not unlike the one that "vinyl records" went through =
some years ago with the advent of CD?
=20
It seems to me that there are now, after many years, recordings you can =
buy on CD that if "vinyl records" were still in the marketplace, would =
probably never have seen a printing again. Perhaps with a new format, =
eventually these obscure films that are even now out of print on VHS may =
eventually re-appear on DVD or whatever format becomes standardized in =
the future.
=20
Key words here are perhaps and standardized
=20
Rob Hooft
JIBC Library
New Westminster, BC
=20

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu =
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 12:42 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

Hi

The paranoia I expressed in my "consuming electronics" spiel has to do =
less with the physical properties of the package as with the content. =
If VHS technology bites the big one in the marketplace, where's that =
gonna leave those of us with very large tape-based collections? More =
spooky: where's that gonna leave indie producers and distributors. =20

Let's hear from the California Newsreels, Filmakers Libraries, First/Run =
Icaruses, Cinema Guilds, New Day Films of the world...what's the plan? =
I don't see a move toward a wholesale leap onto disc. What happens if =
the tape/tape player market really does evaporate in the next few years? =
Where you gonna be?