RE: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

Tue, 04 May 2004 12:42:15 -0700

--=====================_15512500==.ALT

Hi

The paranoia I expressed in my "consuming electronics" spiel has to do less=
=20
with the physical properties of the package as with the content. If VHS=20
technology bites the big one in the marketplace, where's that gonna leave=20
those of us with very large tape-based collections? More spooky: where's=
=20
that gonna leave indie producers and distributors.

Let's hear from the California Newsreels, Filmakers Libraries, First/Run=20
Icaruses, Cinema Guilds, New Day Films of the world...what's the plan? I=20
don't see a move toward a wholesale leap onto disc. What happens if the=20
tape/tape player market really does evaporate in the next few years? Where=
=20
you gonna be?

At 11:35 AM 5/4/2004, you wrote:
>So let=92s say that VHS does disappear in a year of so and we are all=20
>obliged to buy DVD. Bad for us, good for the resellers. We=92ve had a=20
>growing number of DVDs in our collection for 3 or 4 years now and we=92ve=
=20
>been buying DVD whenever possible. On a day to day level my observation=20
>is that DVDs are much more vulnerable to damage by user mishandling than=20
>VHS was which leads to the need to eventually replace the title.
>
>Our collection circulates freely to our campus community (no ILL yet) and=
=20
>we see lots of frustration on the part of users who get into a film only=20
>to find it start skipping, freezing or otherwise become unwatchable=20
>because the disk has been mishandled. I regularly send batches of disks=20
>to a company here in Washington state called Aural Tech for=20
>resurfacing. It=92s lots cheaper than replacing the disk but it is a=
hassle.

>Though we include a printed form in both our DVD and VHS cases so that=20
>users can report problems it seems most people don=92t unless something=20
>significant is wrong with it.
>
>Frankly we=92ve had a bit of backlash on the part of selectors who have=20
>begun specifying VHS instead of DVD =96 though this runs counter to our=20
>standing policy.
>
>Frank Haulgren
>ILL / Document Delivery / Media
>Wilson Library - Western Washington University

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan=20

Hi

The paranoia I expressed in my "consuming electronics" spiel has to do less with the physical properties of the package as with the content.  If VHS technology bites the big one in the marketplace, where's that gonna leave those of us with very large tape-based collections?  More spooky:  where's that gonna leave indie producers and distributors.

Let's hear from the California Newsreels, Filmakers Libraries, First/Run Icaruses, Cinema Guilds, New Day Films of the world...what's the plan?  I don't see a move toward a wholesale leap onto disc.  What happens if the tape/tape player market really does evaporate in the next few years?  Where you gonna be?