RE: [Videolib] Wherefore video? I'm worried

Tue, 04 May 2004 08:36:06 -0700

--=====================_743781==.ALT

It ain't that phasing out of feature VHS worries me (although I think it's
gonna be a good long while before all the titles currently or previously on
tape make it onto disc...) My worry has to do with the home video market
forcing the consuming electronics market into bailing completely on VHS
players. The sudden death of VHS technology is potentially catastrophic
for those of us with huge tape collections--particularly tape collections
that comprise lots and lots of indie documentaries, primary source
materials, odd and out of the way stuff that is likely never to make it
onto disc. I for one plan on stockpiling VHS players for the coming ice age...

At 05:53 AM 5/4/2004, you wrote:
>We are beginning to phase out the purchase of feature films on VHS and are
>planning to be pretty much out of the VHS business by the end of this
>calendar year. Over the last few months, I've been slowly backing off on
>the quantities of feature VHS titles ordered, with next to zero complaint
>from the public. This was initially based primarily on space
>considerations. Previously, we were ordering the VHS titles when they came
>down to sell-thru price, but I have been finding they are going out of print
>nearly as soon as they come down. I should add, though, that we receive a
>large quantity of 'good' donations, particularly VHS, so this makes the
>decision to not purchase them a little easier.
>
>My guess: Feature VHS will all but be gone by the end of '05.
>
>Blane Halliday
>AV Acquisitions Librarian
>Collier County Public Library
>2385 Orange Blossom Drive