RE: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

Blane Halliday (bhalliday@collier-lib.org)
Tue, 4 May 2004 08:53:29 -0400

We are beginning to phase out the purchase of feature films on VHS and are
planning to be pretty much out of the VHS business by the end of this
calendar year. Over the last few months, I've been slowly backing off on
the quantities of feature VHS titles ordered, with next to zero complaint
from the public. This was initially based primarily on space
considerations. Previously, we were ordering the VHS titles when they came
down to sell-thru price, but I have been finding they are going out of print
nearly as soon as they come down. I should add, though, that we receive a
large quantity of 'good' donations, particularly VHS, so this makes the
decision to not purchase them a little easier.

My guess: Feature VHS will all but be gone by the end of '05.

Blane Halliday
AV Acquisitions Librarian
Collier County Public Library
2385 Orange Blossom Drive
Naples, Florida 34109
239-593-3511, ext. 45
bhalliday@collier-lib.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Tatar, Becky
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 4:46 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

Just out of curiosity, is this about the last year for feature films on vhs?
In doing my search among several large vendors (AEC, BT, Ingram), I kept
coming up empty for vhs titles of movies that were released in the last 2
years, had been on award lists, etc. I couldn't believe how many of these
titles I could not find? Are vhs feature films truly dead? I did do better
with the nonfiction vhs I want to order this year, but I wonder about that,
also. Has anyone stopped ordering vhs features and gone solely to dvd? And
people keep asking me what's the next format around the corner, besides
variations on the DVD format.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library