RE: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

Eileen Simmons (ESimmons@ci.everett.wa.us)
Mon, 3 May 2004 15:37:54 -0700

I wonder about this, too. We order(ed) a lot of feature VHS from Baker &
Taylor. In recent years I have noticed their inventories of VHS dropping as
DVD increased. This year, even with very popular feature titles that are
released simultaneously on VHS and DVD, BT will show large inventories of
DVDs but 0 VHS in stock or on order. I have talked to a sales rep at BT, but
could not get him to tell me whether they were dropping VHS.

Eileen Simmons
Assistant Director/Head of Reference
Everett Public Library
2702 Hoyt Ave.
Everett, WA 98201
425.257.8022

-----Original Message-----
From: Tatar, Becky [mailto:bltata@aurora.lib.il.us]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 1:46 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

Just out of curiosity, is this about the last year for feature films on vhs?
In doing my search among several large vendors (AEC, BT, Ingram), I kept
coming up empty for vhs titles of movies that were released in the last 2
years, had been on award lists, etc. I couldn't believe how many of these
titles I could not find? Are vhs feature films truly dead? I did do better
with the nonfiction vhs I want to order this year, but I wonder about that,
also. Has anyone stopped ordering vhs features and gone solely to dvd? And
people keep asking me what's the next format around the corner, besides
variations on the DVD format.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library