RE: [Videolib] Wherefore video?

Ryan Whitehead (ryan@facets.org)
Mon, 3 May 2004 16:51:56 -0500

I can't speak for the death of VHS but I suspect the next format around the
corner is a non-format: video-on-demand seems poised for entry into the
mainstream. Netflix has recently made some overtures towards streaming
"rentals." They plan to begin streaming video content in 05. There are many
articles out there on the topic, the following is merely the first turned up
by Google:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/05/news/midcaps/netflix_downloads/

I'd be curious to hear if any libraries have given thought to how
video-on-demand impacts their collections and their mandate.

Sincerely,

Ryan Whitehead
Account Executive, Schools and Libraries

Facets Multi-Media, Inc.
1517 West Fullerton
Chicago, IL 60614

Phone: (773) 281-9075