RE: [Videolib] ILL question

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Sat, 1 May 2004 09:47:57 -0500

www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: susanna eng [mailto:susannae@usc.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 2:18 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] ILL question

Greetings,

I'm new to this list, so if this has been brought up numerous times, I
apologize.

I am the selector of our video/dvd collection, which is heavily used by our
faculty and students alike. Our students cannot check these items out of the
library, they are for library use only. Faculty may check them out,
generally for a 24 hour period, but we do make exceptions for them on a case
by case basis. I only recently took over this collection, and I discovered
that we have been ILL-ing some of our videos and dvds to one particular
institution, and this distresses me greatly. I don't want to set a
precedent, so other institutions start asking to borrow the collection as
well. I have many objections, but I keep coming back to the fact that if we
don't allow our students to take home these materials why would we allow
people from other institutions to do that?

Personally I would like to set a policy where we don't lend out our videos
and dvds, due to their frequent use, among many other reasons, but my
library director disagrees with that and thinks it is too strict of a
policy. Anecdotally, I have heard that most institutions don't lend this
kind of collection through ILL, but I was wondering if any of you on this
list could give me some advice on the matter, ie how to change my director's
mind, or if indeed most institutions don't lend their vids/dvds (or if I am
completely wrong about that). Any advice on this matter would be greatly
appreciated. If this has been discussed time and time again, please feel
free to reply to me off-list.

Thanks in advance!

Susanna Eng.

Susanna Eng
Assistant Instructional Services Coordinator
Information Services Division
University of Southern California
Tel: (213) 740-8349
Email: susannae@usc.edu