Re: [Videolib] ILL question

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:09:06 -0700

--Apple-Mail-2--170952648

Does anyone on the list have good relations with the ILL people for=20
books at your institution? How would they handle a request for a $300=20
book which could be replaced?

By the way, my office doesn't ILL media. But I do tell institutions (or=20=

individuals) where we bought our print.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Friday, April 30, 2004, at 01:26 PM, Gary Handman wrote:

> [...]

> "no" more than I say yes (which definitely doesn't endear me to my=20
> colleagues at other UC campuses).
>
> At 12:18 PM 4/30/2004, you wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I'm new to this list, so if this has been brought up numerous times, I=20=

> apologize.
>
> I am the selector of our video/dvd collection, which is heavily used=20=

> by our faculty and students alike. Our students cannot check these=20
> items out of the library, they are for library use only. Faculty may=20=

> check them out, generally for a 24 hour period, but we do make=20
> exceptions for them on a case by case basis. I only recently took over=20=

> this collection, and I discovered that we have been ILL-ing some of=20
> our videos and dvds to one particular institution, and this distresses=20=

> me greatly. I don't want to set a precedent, so other institutions=20
> start asking to borrow the collection as well. I have many objections,=20=

> but I keep coming back to the fact that if we don't allow our students=20=

> to take home these materials why would we allow people from other=20
> institutions to do that?
>
> Personally I would like to set a policy where we don't lend out our=20
> videos and dvds, due to their frequent use, among many other reasons,=20=

> but my library director disagrees with that and thinks it is too=20
> strict of a policy. Anecdotally, I have heard that most institutions=20=

> don't lend this kind of collection through ILL, but I was wondering if=20=

> any of you on this list could give me some advice on the matter, ie=20
> how to change my director's mind, or if indeed most institutions don't=20=

> lend their vids/dvds (or if I am completely wrong about that). Any=20
> advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. If this has been=20=

> discussed time and time again, please feel free to reply to me=20
> off-list.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Susanna Eng.

> Susanna Eng
> Assistant Instructional Services Coordinator
> Information Services Division
> University of Southern California
> Tel: (213) 740-8349
> Email: susannae@usc.edu
>

> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
> ****
>
> "Movies are poems, a holy bible, the great mother of us."
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 --Ted Berrigan=

--Apple-Mail-2--170952648

Does anyone on the list have good relations with the ILL people for
books at your institution? How would they handle a request for a $300
book which could be replaced?

By the way, my office doesn't ILL media. But I do tell institutions
(or individuals) where we bought our print.

Brigid Duffy

Audio Visual/ITV Center

San Francisco State University

San Francisco CA 94132-4200

E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

OK, I'll weigh in here with what I think is a generally unpopular
point of view=A0 (WHAT!=A0 AGAIN!)

ALA in the past few years published
<bold>Interlibrary</bold> =
of Audio Visual Formats</color></underline> (see
<smaller>www.ala.org/vrt/illguide.html ) (don't you just love the
creaky, musty sound of that Audio Visual???)=A0 which attempts to place
video and other moving image and sound media in the ILL mainstream....